Summertime foods are my favorites – so much fresh produce abounds, and all you need in order to serve a really great summery meal is some grilled protein (steak, chicken, burgers, fish, you pick), a bright salad with tons of greens and loads of berries & veggies, a stand-out side dish, and a delicious chilled bottle of white, bubbly, or rosé. My go-to side dish is this Mexican Corn Salad, which goes with everything from fish tacos and chicken fajitas to peppercorn steak and turkey burgers. It is beyond easy to make but your guests will feel like you slaved away in the kitchen to prepare it – the flavors are so layered and complex that this recipe would shine on any menu in town.
Mexican Corn Salad
Recipe & photo via Closet Cooking
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups corn (about 4 ears), cut fresh from the cob
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 lime, juice
- 2 tablespoons cotija cheese, crumbled
- Chili powder to taste
- Green onions & cilantro, if you like – I don’t love these ingredients so I omitted them
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until charred. Mix it up and let it char again, about 6 – 10 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño. Sauté for one minute and remove the corn and jalapeño from the heat.
- Place the corn and jalapeño in a mixing bowl and add in the mayonnaise, garlic, lime juice, cotija cheese, and chili powder. Mix together and serve immediately, or let it cool if you prefer and serve it at room temperature (preferably alongside a meal that tastes great with margaritas).